Friday, November 6, 2009

If spiders could talk


It was a warm summer day. I was basking in the sun, relaxing, enjoying my web. I thought to myself "this orange tree is the perfect home for me, I rather enjoy building webs and trapping prey here". With green leaves and large oranges, the fruit tree was divine, and what a beautiful persimmon tree I had to look at across the yard. I was disturbed in mid-thought by a human - he was coming at the orange tree with a weapon of destruction and that is when my world as I knew it collapsed. He chopped down branch after branch until my home was destroyed. I fell onto the ground and started running, knowing I had to get away as fast as I could. All I could think was...Oh Human...why today? Then, suddenly, I could run no further. The human had shielded me in some sort of glass object. He was looking at me, studying me. Then I was floating - above ground - in this object. The human carried me far, far away and dropped me, head first, in a totally new environment. I was free, but really - was I? I was lost, alone, no home to speak of, no orange tree. Realizing there was not even a persimmon tree in view - I sat and I cried. Where was my home? Where shall I live now? What did I do to deserve this? I crawled around with only sadness as my guide. It must have been hours that I crawled, looking for my home - it was nowhere to be found. I was deep in despair when I discovered the apple tree. I just happened upon it, not really paying attention - my heart was so heavy I was barely paying attention to where I was going. I was halfway up the tree when I realized what a delightful little tree this was. The bark was beautiful, brown with a nice pungent smell. I crawled onto a branch and for the first time in what felt like years I smiled. This is my new home. I began spinning my orb webs and became entranced in the job. Ahh...how relaxing it is to spin a web. By the time I was finished, night had fallen and I settled in for a good night sleep. The next morning I awoke to several prey entangled in my web. I spun them in silk, looking forward to a good breakfast after the heartwrenching day I had endured.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.