Thursday, April 23, 2009

Technology Sticks

The RSA Conference is where I went this week - it was in SF at the Moscone Center. Lots of geeks. White. Male. Geeks. And it is amazing (and sad) to me that the IT community is still made up almost completely of mysogynists. I was walking around with my robot-friend and everyone at the Expo portion of the event was talking to him, asking him what he did, blah blah. I was completely invisible. Which, to me, was like heaven because come on - who likes to talk to those who-haws anyways? First of all they don't even know what they are talking about half the time and second of all they are just dumb ass salesmen. Robot-friend even made a comment once about how he wished he had a vagina so no one would talk to him. But after a couple days of this I was getting pretty disgusted at how gross it was. Add to that the booth bimbos and there you have it. Women are for oogling and wearing short skirts and dresses with their boobs hanging out so men will come to their booths and ask for a free thumb drive. Or Mug. Or Tshirt. That's about it.
But none of this is a surprise to me. It was just something that I haven't witnessed for a long time. Blackhat in Vegas isn't even almost as bad as this.
Hello Glass Ceiling.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Last night your robot-friend and I went to some RSA conference parties and after about 15 minutes I was like "there is more sausage here than at octoberfest!" That placed sucked, even the parties sucked.